What you need to know about allergy skin tests
The health and wellbeing of our guests at B.O.B Salons is our top priority. This is why all new and *existing colour clients to the salon must undergo a skin allergy test at least 48 hours before their colouring appointment.
In fact, our Skin Allergy Test Policy insists on this to ensure your comfort and protection. We hold our level of customer services to the highest of standards, and so if we applied colour without performing an allergy test, it would compromise your safety, and dramatically reduce our standard of safe customer service. We’re not prepared to do that under any circumstance.
Some salons will gladly go ahead and perform a colour service without a skin test, in fear that the inconvenience will force the customer elsewhere. Our advice to you is to walk away from that place, as they will not have your best interests at heart.
We know it may seem like a hassle having to find the time to take two trips in one week to visit the salon; but we would like to explain to you the importance of skin allergy testing.
We follow, exactly, the guidelines from Paul Mitchell XG, Kenra & Guy Tang, the manufacturers, whether you are a new or existing client. Some hair dyes contain a chemical called PPD that can irritate the skin an cause an allergic reaction. A simple dab of colour behind the ear can save many people from having an adverse reaction to a dye that may have resulted in itching, a hot or burning scalp, blood poisoning or even anaphylactic shock.
What happens in an allergy test?
- All colour clients will need to pop into the salon within a maximum and a minimum of 48-hours before their appointment, where a member of our team will complete the allergy test for you. It only takes 2 minutes so you don’t even need to book an appointment!
- The test is simple, we mix equal quantities of colour and peroxide together and apply to a cleaned area of skin behind the ear. After this you are free to leave, however;
- The colour must then be left uncovered for 45 minutes, after which it can be removed using warm water only – shampoo, soap or wipes should not be used.
- It can take a little while before a reaction occurs, hence the 48-hour period prior to full colour application to assess sensitivity.
- If you experience any reaction or discomfort you should contact your salon, otherwise continue with your colour service as usual.
B.O.B Salons Managing Director Melloney Gillham says, “We are proud of our strict Skin Allergy Test Policy. It shows that we care about our guests’ wellbeing, and they, in-turn, are reassured that they’re in expert hands with a team dedicated to looking after them.”
Colour consultations are available free of charge. A colour consultation gives you the opportunity to have an in-depth conversation with a colour technician to discuss all your hair needs. To book an appointment call 01344 860969
The B.O.B team x
*existing clients that have had a skin test will have a new skin test when trying a new colour product or brand.